Friday, 18 January 2013

Thick hair

If like me, you have quite thick hair and instead of seeing this in the mirror every morning... 
But instead you see a giant mop of thick hair like this here below....

Then I may have found some tips and solutions to help you maintain the look and hairstyle you want, whilst having lovely and thick hair.

Managing thick hair!
Get a good hair cut. It may seem really obvious but its true. A good majority of the time I go to the hairdressers, they comment on the thickness of my hair and always ask a few times whether or not I want it thinned any with more layers. Don't be afraid to tell the hairdresser what you like or especially want done, after all they are the ones who can help you with it.If you don't like the thickness of your hair you can always ask them to think your hair for you, by either using a pair of thinning scissors or by chopping into the hair a lot. Which may sound horrendous but will leave your hair looking lovely and feeling lighter.

Don't be afraid to experiment with colour 
Having thick hair means that your hair will tend to be quite strong, so if you want to try different hair colours, highlights and other hair colouring treatments your hair won't look as brittle and course in the long run, compared to much finer hair.

Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo doesn't have to be left at festivals, I find that with my hair I can get away with just using dry shampoo come day three of not washing my hair and it'll still look shiny. 

Drying
I don't know whether this is down to me personally, or it may work for other people with thick hair but when I've washed my hair I don't tend to blowdry it straightaway as it then makes it big and hard to manage when I want to tie it up. Sometimes I leave it complete to air dry or even wait an hour so its a little bit dry and then do the rest, I think this makes it appear silkier, but it may just be me. 

Straightening 
I straighten my hair everyday. I do use heat protective sprays but still. Everytime I tell a hairdresser that they gasp like I've committed a horrendous crime, to them I may have, but to me this has become more of a way of life (no joke it genuinely has) I think it makes my hair look a lot nicer than it would naturally as it looks more sleek and pretty in my opinion.

Say bye to your conditioner
A hairdresser told me that conditioner tends to leave build up on your hair, making it feel heavier and appear a little greasy. I either just use a shampoo and occasionally conditioner on just the ends of my hair. Or sometimes I use a good leave in conditioner.

To keep thick hair looking shiny and healthy here are a few tips:
  • Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables to provide your body with plenty of nutrients. 
  • Eat healthy fats like omega 3 fatty acids found in nuts, shellfish, tuna and flax seed for example. 
  • Wash your hair with a good, gentle shampoo and/or conditioner.
  • Some people find that washing their hair with warm, not hot water could stop breakages and split ends.
  • Exercise, healthy body, healthy mind and all!
  • Don't trim your hair yourself as this can cause breakages.
I hope this helps in some way, thanks for reading, A x


0 comments:

Post a Comment