Friday, 29 August 2014

I made a lemon meringue cake!

I rarely bake, even though I do really enjoy doing it, I find it can be quite time consuming and I always end up making a huge amount of mess. Yesterday, however, I decided to venture into the kitchen and bake something. A lemon meringue cake to be precise! I saw the recipe on YouTube and made one or two changes to their original recipe but I'll still link the video at the end. I would say this cake was actually really easy to make, tasted amazing and I would definitely make this again.


So the ingredients you will need for the cake:
375g caster sugar 
375g softened butter
6 eggs 
Zest and juice of two lemons
400g self raising flour
Tsp baking powder 
2tbsp milk

This will take 25-30 minutes in an oven at 170 degrees. 

For the marshmallow meringue crust you will need: 

175g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar 
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp water
2 egg whites

Recipe!

1) Combine sugar and butter into a bowl. Mix until fully creamed together and it looks pale and fluffy. It may take up to five minutes to get here. 

As you can see the mixture is not quite ready at this stage I think I mixed it for two more minutes. 

2) Add an egg one at a time slowly into the mixture whilst mixing at the same time. 

3) Using a smaller section on a grater or an actual zester, I rolled the lemons on the table using the palms of my hands. Which seems a bit odd but it's something a cooking teacher at school mentioned and it does something to the membranes in the lemon meaning the juice comes out easier. I zested them both fully first then cut them in half and juiced them. 

Even though the recipe does ask for the zest of six lemons I only used two because I like lemon flavours but I am not too keen on the gritty taste zest can sometimes leave inside a cake.

3) Next I added the 400g of self raising flour along with the tsp of baking powder. Becauase I used a lot of eggs and lemon juice, if the mixture looks a bit too wet add in more flour to thicken it up. 

4) Add in the 2tbsp of milk. Or if the mixture is wetter you can leave this step out. 

5) Make sure once the mixer is off, to run the spoon through the mixture a few times to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed in. 

6) Bringing over the already buttered and floured cake tins, I evenly distribute the mixture between the two. The original recipe does use three cake tins but I only had two so made two quite big layers. 


  
Whilst this is baking in the oven, I did the washing up and made the meringue frosting. 

For this you will need a Bain-Marie (a saucepan with about an inche or so of water and then a bowl resting on top, careful not to let the bowl touch the water. 

7) Pour the sugar into the bowl, followed by the cream of tartar and salt.

8) Next add the golden syrup. To make this bit easier I had a small jug of water to dip the spoon in which helped get the syrup off of the spoon. 

9) Add in the vanilla extract and the water. 

10) You will need to add the egg whites. Separating eggs used to seem like a really tricky thing to do but recently I have got better. I do it over another bowl (clearly not thinking about the amount of washing up I'll have to do later but it'll save the recipe not getting ruined) I crack the egg in one hand letting the whites fall into the bowl but keeping the yolk in my hand. I do this same technique for the second one. You can keep hold of the yolks and make something else with them as well!

11) Over the heat (medium to high on the stove top) I use an electric mixer until the mixture has gotten stiffer, white and forms stiff peaks. 
All done! And this tastes absolutely amazing if you have a sweet tooth just like me! It tastes almost exactly the same to marshmallow fluff! 

Once the cake is out of the oven and cooled comes the fun part. In between the cakes I covered one side with a lemon buttercream. The opposing side I covered with a zingy lemon curd and pushed them together. 

Using a palette knife, I slathered the cake with the marshmallow meringue frosting, being as careful as possible not to drag any cake crumbs around the edge. I covered the whole cake until it looks like a beautiful little lemon cloud. 

Next step was a little dangerous as I used a blow torch to burn the sugar and give it that yummy crispy, golden taste. If you aren't old enough ask an adult to do this step or equally if you don't own a blow torch I think putting it in an oven would have a similar effect. 

Et voila! The finished produce. 


Thanks for reading, I really hope you enjoyed this post! Love, A x

PS the YouTube video link is just beneath!

0 comments:

Post a Comment