Monday, 9 March 2015

Homemade energy bites!

I have the worlds biggest sweet tooth whether that be cake, chocolates, sweets or even sugary fizzy drinks. The trouble is all I have to do is look at any of these and I put on weight. 


So for the last few months or so I've been trying to be a lot healthier from making smoothies to more regular exercise. I've tried various different snacks like nakd bars or bounce balls and as delicious as they are I fancied making my own energy bites/balls. 

So after searching different webpages and talking to a local nutritionist who occasionally pops into my work too I found two great recipes that really appealed to me. The first one as seen beneath I saw on the package of a Bioglan cacao powder and really wanted to try it.

Cacao date balls. 
For this recipe you will need:
•100g Medjool dates. These are the sticky squidgier ones you see in packets that tend to appear at Christmas. I just used Thoory dates as they were more readily available and I like the sweet nutty flavour.
•25g cranberries. I love the bittersweet tang they give. 
•35g pistachios.
•40g almonds. 
•100g shredded coconut. I accidentally bought flaked coconut so I just blitzed it in my breville active blender until it formed a powdery consistency. 
• two heaped tablespoons of raw organic cacao powder. Cacao is the natural form of chocolate. It is mineral and antioxidant rich and if you like dark chocolate you'll like this.
• the recipe asks for 30g coconut oil to help bind it all together. But I couldn't find mine anywhere so you could use another oil alternative. Mine was quite sticky but not quite enough so I put a spoonful of manuka honey and a splash of water to help it all stick. 

First of soak the dates in water for fifteen minutes. I used cold water but warmer water will help speed up this process. 


After fifteen minutes I poured the water away and got rid of any excess with a bit of kitchen towel then placed them in the mixer. 

I threw in all of the other ingredients and I left it I all to blend together until it formed a ball. 

I scooped that out of the mixer and using a teaspoon I took bits of the mixture and rolled it between my hands until it formed a ball. 

I had two bowls ready and prepared with sesame seeds in one and cocoa nibs so when I made the energy balls I rolled them in either one of the two. 


Sweet, chocolatey and delicious I'd highly recommend these! 

Peanut butter oat bites. 

These ones I kind of just fancied so may have made up as I went a long. These would be great as a quick grab if you're heading out the door early in the morning as they're packed full of slow releasing energy in the oats. 

I used: 
•60g rolled jumbo oats.
•about 40g peanut butter or another nut butter replacement. Add as much as you like or until a sticky paste has formed.
•25g cocoa nibs. 
•20g Californian seedless raisins.
•25g dried cranberries. 

You can mix up this recipe and add any dried fruits or nuts you like. 

Again with this recipe like the first, I just put all of the ingredients in the mixer and let it mix until it formed a ball. 

Once rolled into balls I popped them all in the fridge so they can harden and chill. 

Et voila! 

So yummy! I could snack on these 24/7! 

Thanks for reading I hope you liked this post. Love, A. X

0 comments:

Post a Comment