Sunday, 31 May 2015

GIN AND TONIC CUPCAKES

So today I did a spot of baking and combined two of my favourite things. Cute little cupcakes and gin and tonics! I am a big, big fan of a gin and tonic. If you know me you'd know it's my favourite alcoholic beverage at the moment! So yes I made a gin and tonic flavoured cupcake and it is just as tasty as it sounds, if I do say so myself!


I found the recipe after having a browse online and found this one here that I liked. 

The ingredients:
•175g of softened butter 
•175g caster sugar 
•175g self raising flour
•3 eggs 
•4 tbsp of tonic water. I had Morrisons Indian tonic water- fancy eh ;)
• Lime zest (optional) 

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes so you could get extra prepared and line a cupcake tray with 12 cases. 


Let's get started! 

1) first off I popped the butter and the sugar into the mixer until it reached a smooth, creamed consistency. 

2) I then added one egg at a time until it was fully mixed then proceeded to add the second egg and then the third. 

3) Sift in the flour and fold into the mix. 

4) when that is fully combined I added the four tablespoons of tonic water and half a lime zest and give that one last mix until it's fully blended together. 

5) Easy as that the mixture is ready to be spooned into their cases. 


6)This takes about twenty five to thirty minutes for them to cook. I poked a cocktail stick through them to make sure they were done as no mixture was on the stick. 

7) As soon as they are out of the oven I poked little holes in the cake with the cocktail stick and then using an egg wash brush and using a small amount of gin I brushed it straight onto the cakes.


8) Letting the cakes cool, I got started making the icing. 

Icing ingredients:
•250g softened butter 
• 500g icing sugar (sifted) 
• Juice of one lime 
• 4tbsp gin 

9) this part is really easy as you kind of just throw it all in the mixer until you get to the thickened consistency you like. 


I'd just like to take this moment to say I think on cookery shows they seem to forget to mention how much mess baking leaves!! 


Ta Da!! I piped on the icing and sprinkled some lime zest on too too. 


The icing is just delicious! A big blob on top gives the the cake a sweet yet tangy kick! 


YUM YUM YUM! I would so recommend this (as long as you're of age to drink of course) also if you don't like gin you don't have to add it in and it's still delicious. 

I love the tonic water in this recipe it really makes a difference to the cake making it light, airy and fluffy. 

I really hope you liked this recipe and post. Do let me know if you try it out and what you think of it too! All my love, A. X

0 comments:

Post a Comment